Name: Arnold, Hillis
Profession: Educator, Sculptor
Born/Started: Jun. 10, 1906
Description: Hillis Arnold was a leading sculptor of religious art and an advocate of Symbolism and the Expressionist style.
Born in Rural Beach, ND in 1906, Arnold lost his hearing at the age of six months due to spinal meningitis. In 1933, Arnold attended the University of Minnesota, winning the Keppel Prize for sculpture. He graduated with a degree in architecture. In 1938, he began teaching sculpture and ceramics at Monticello College (now Lewis and Clark Community College) in Godfrey, IL, where he remained for 34 years. He had exhibits throughout the U.S. and participated in many national competitions. He was renowned for his work in religious and symbolic subject matter, and contributed sculptures to many churches and civic buildings in the Midwest. His work in St. Louis includes the World War II Memorial Court of Honor; Holy Cross Lutheran School for the Deaf; the St. Louis Abbey; and Resurrection Church. He was elected a Live Fellow of the International Institute of Arts and Letters.
Structures & Places
site was made possible by: the City of St. Louis Planning and Urban Design Agency and