history images Mound City on the Mississippi Home Page
image menu Buildings, Sites, and Objects People, Places, and Things Events, Incidents, and Occurrences Bibliography

structures


Name:  Resurrection Church
Address:  3900 Meramec Street
Architectural Firm/Architect:  Architects: Murphy and Ma
Designation: City Landmark
History:
By 1930, the growth of St. Anthony┬┤s parish created the need for a new church to serve its western portion. A site at Meramec Street and Hydraulic Avenue was acquired and a multi-purpose building was erected.

After about 20 years, the needs of this parish of the Resurrection of Our Lord required a larger building, and the present modern styled edifice was built in 1954. It features a parabolic floor plan and incorporates work by liturgical artists similar to that of medieval guild artisans. Stained glass windows are the work of Robert Frei, the altar mural was done by Robert Harmon, sculpture by Hillis Arnold and Stations of the Cross by William Schickel.

A tapistry of lattice-like limestone is at the center of the church┬┤s facade. A tall tower at the apex of the parabola marks the location of the altar and houses four bells from Holland.




People
Arnold, Hillis
Frei, Robert
Harmon, Robert
Murphy, Joseph Dennis
Murphy and Mackey,
Schickel, William

Resurrection Church

 

 

peoplestructureseventssourceshome
about historic preservationnew entries4 kids onlymap it!

This site was made possible by: the City of St. Louis Planning and Urban Design Agency and
the City of St. Louis Community Information Network.

This site was funded in part by Federal funds administered by the Missouri State Historical Preservation Office, Missouri Department of Natural Resources, The National Park Service, and the U.S. Department of the Interior.


Version 1.0