history images Mound City on the Mississippi Home Page
image menu Buildings, Sites, and Objects People, Places, and Things Events, Incidents, and Occurrences Bibliography


Name:    A. G. Edwards
Profession:  Educator, Merchant
Category:  Architecture, Economy/Employment
Born/Started:    1887
Description:    After retiring from the post of assistant secretary of the Treasury for the sub treasury bank in St. Louis in 1887, General Albert Gallatin Edwards and his son, Benjamin Franklin Edwards, founded A. G. Edwards & Sons brokerage firm.

Another son, George Edwards joined the partnership in 1890. In 1898, they bought their first seat on the New York Stock Exchange. George Edwards took over the company in 1891 and became the first president of the St. Louis Stock Exchange. His brother, Albert, became president in 1919.

During World War I, A. G. Edwards helped promote the sale of Liberty Bonds to investors to help finance the war effort. The company survived the stock market crash of 1929 and helped regain the confidence of investors by encouraging people to invest again in stocks through its "Buy a Share in America" program.

In November, 1971, A. G. Edwards was one of the first brokerage firms to go public by selling 445,000 shares at $12 a share.

As of 1999, the firm had over 6,500 employees and 600 branches. Approximately 25% of its employees work in the St. Louis headquarters. A.G. Edwards is one of only five companies to be listed all seven years by Fortune Magazine as one of the "100 Best Companies to Work for in America". [St. Louis-Home on the River, p. 254, http://agedwards.com/public/aboutage/history]

Edwards, Benjamin F.
A. G. Edwards
Edwards, Albert Gallatin
A. G. Edwards

St. Louis: Home on the River

More People
in the Same Profession(s)

Related Links
A. G. Edwards History



about historic preservationnew entries4 kids onlymap it!

This site was made possible by: the City of St. Louis Planning and Urban Design Agency and
the City of St. Louis Community Information Network.

This site was funded in part by Federal funds administered by the Missouri State Historical Preservation Office, Missouri Department of Natural Resources, The National Park Service, and the U.S. Department of the Interior.

Version 1.0