Name: Boyd´s #2
Date of Demolition: 1988
Architectural Firm/Architect: Will Levy
Front facade: Terra Cotta
Property Type Codes: Commercial building, Central Business District masonry
Alterations: Cornice removed. Removal of glass windows flanking entrance and application of glass tile.
District: National Register Historic District
The building was erecting in 1912 for the Erker Brothers Optical Company. Designed by Will Levy, it was five-story, steel frame building. The main feature of the facade was an elongated, four-story, tripartite windowed bay which helped to light the long, narrow interior. One-over-one windows were set into the grid of the metal bay frame. Spandrels are created by the paneled aprons below the windows and the transoms above. The bay is framed by white terra cotta piers set with lozenges. Originally there was a projecting cornice with dentils and a shaped parapet, but it was removed and covered with metal sheathing. The full-length windows flanking the door have also been removed (Olive Street Terra Cotta District, NR 1/2/86).
site was made possible by: the City of St. Louis Planning and Urban Design Agency and