history images Mound City on the Mississippi Home Page
image menu Buildings, Sites, and Objects People, Places, and Things Events, Incidents, and Occurrences Bibliography


Name:    Famous Company
Profession:  Merchant
Born/Started:    1873
Description:    The Famous Company opened in 1873 on Franklin Avenue and moved to Broadway and Morgan in 1880. The store sold dry goods and clothing. In 1892 the store was bought by the May Company of Cleveland, and re-opened as a five-story store five months later.

When May Company acquired the Willam Barr Company in 1911, it created a new name, Famous-Barr. [A Century of Enterprise, p. 12]

May Department Stores

Century of Enterprise: St. Louis, 1894-1994

More People
in the Same Profession(s)



about historic preservationnew entries4 kids onlymap it!

This site was made possible by: the City of St. Louis Planning and Urban Design Agency and
the City of St. Louis Community Information Network.

This site was funded in part by Federal funds administered by the Missouri State Historical Preservation Office, Missouri Department of Natural Resources, The National Park Service, and the U.S. Department of the Interior.

Version 1.0