history images Mound City on the Mississippi Home Page
image menu Buildings, Sites, and Objects People, Places, and Things Events, Incidents, and Occurrences Bibliography


Name:    Crowell, William DeForest
Born/Started:    1879
Died/Ended:    1967
Description:    Coming to St. Louis about 1910, William DeForest Crowell joined the firm of Mauran, Russell & Crowell. Born in Massachusetts, he had graduated from Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1903. He also studied marine design, and designed his boat, The Black Prince, which he described as "the fastest cruiser on the Mississippi." A colorful figure, he was an artist, an amateur musician, an inventor, a sportsman and an aviation enthusiast who made a flight on the Graf Zeppelin in 1930.

Following his retirement in 1950, Crowell took up oil painting. His architectural designs in St. Louis included residences in many of the private places of St. Louis, the Bell Telephone Building, Missouri Pacific Building, Federal Reserve Bank, Cahokia Power Plant, the old Globe Democrat Building, Federal Reserve Bank, Police Headquarters, the Railway Exchange building, Laclede Gas Company building, and the Federal Courthouse at 12th & Market. He was also affiliated with the design of the St. Louis Country Club, the Racquet Club, various churches and a library.

Structures & Places
Bell Telephone Company Building
Federal Courthouse
Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis
Laclede Gas and Light Company Building, Former
Missouri Pacific Building
Police Headquarters
Railway Exchange Building

Mauran, Russell and Garden

Architecture of the Private Streets of St. Louis, The Architects and the Houses They Designed
St. Louis Post Dispatch
St. Louis Post Dispatch
Westmoreland and Portland Places, History of Private Streets 1888-1988



about historic preservationnew entries4 kids onlymap it!

This site was made possible by: the City of St. Louis Planning and Urban Design Agency and
the City of St. Louis Community Information Network.

This site was funded in part by Federal funds administered by the Missouri State Historical Preservation Office, Missouri Department of Natural Resources, The National Park Service, and the U.S. Department of the Interior.

Version 1.0