Name: Brick Cathedral
Date of Demolition: Unknown
Architectural Firm/Architect: Gabriel Paul
Dimensions: 135´ x 40´
Commissioned by Bishop Louis DuBourg, work was began in 1819 to build a new brick cathedral to replace the old wooden structure which had occupied the same lot. Its original plan designed by Gabriel Paul was of a basilican plan church with a large tower topped by a steeple. Due to the hard economic times, however, the full plan could not be executed, omitting the sides aisles and tower. The first mass in the new cathedral was held Christmas Day, 1819.
site was made possible by: the City of St. Louis Planning and Urban Design Agency and