history images Mound City on the Mississippi Home Page
image menu Buildings, Sites, and Objects People, Places, and Things Events, Incidents, and Occurrences Bibliography


Name:  St. Alphonsus Liguori
Architectural Firm/Architect:   Rev. Louis Dold, C.S.S.R. 1893, Steeple
Dimensions:   Steeple, 237 feet high
Designation: City Landmark
St. Alphonsus Liguori was built as a mission church by the Redemptorist Fathers. It was nicknamed "The Rock" during its construction because of its material, a roughly cut stone. In 1881, it became a parish church with the Redemptorists remaining as the parish priests. The parish covers the area bounded by Washington Boulevard on the south, Easton Avenue to the north, Compton Avenue an the east and Taylor Avenue to the west. The church was completed in 1894 when the Baptistry was dedicated. The entire building was constructed of stone and followed a strict English Gothic style. The main altar and the side altars were handcarved from white carrara marble with onyx detailing. The stained glass windows were executed by a group of artists, "Mayor of Munich". They were of such quality that they were exhibited at the World's Fair of 1904. Each were bought for $675. There are twenty major windows along the nave and five lesser over the altar. The main attraction of the church is the shrine in honor of the Mother of Perpetual Help. The solemn novena, preached annually in her honor, is very well attended. The record attendance was in 1931 when 18,460 people came to the service.

Dold, Rev. Louis

St. Alphonsus Liguori
St. Alphonsus Liguori
St. Alphonsus Liguori
St. Alphonsus Liguori
St. Alphonsus Liguori
St. Alphonsus Liguori



about historic preservationnew entries4 kids onlymap it!

This site was made possible by: the City of St. Louis Planning and Urban Design Agency and
the City of St. Louis Community Information Network.

This site was funded in part by Federal funds administered by the Missouri State Historical Preservation Office, Missouri Department of Natural Resources, The National Park Service, and the U.S. Department of the Interior.

Version 1.0