history images Mound City on the Mississippi Home Page
image menu Buildings, Sites, and Objects People, Places, and Things Events, Incidents, and Occurrences Bibliography


Name:  Unitarian Church of the Messiah
Address:  Locust and Garrison Streets
Year:  1879
Date of Demolition:  1987
Architectural Firm/Architect:  Peabody, Stearns
Standard Architectural Styles:  Gothic Revival
Property Type Codes:  Church
Designation: National Register of Historic Places
"The Church of the Messiah is the only extant building directly intertwined with the life and work of William Greenleaf Eliot (1811-1887). Eliot himself gained national prominence both as an activist urging a wide range of social reforms and as the founder of a precedent-setting institution of higher education, Washington University. His small St. Louis congregation from the first Unitarian outpost west of the Mississippi River to a preposterous and altruistic force responsible for the founding of nationally significant cultural, education and philanthropic institutions. Finally, as the only remaining church located outside New England by the Boston firm of Peabody and Stearnes, the architectural significance of one of the firmĀ“s largest and most important churches is also of national significance." [From the nomination to the National Register of Historic Places as prepared by Mary M. Stiritz, research associate, and Jill R. Johnson, researcher, Landmarks Association of St. Louis, Inc.]

Peabody, Robert Swain



about historic preservationnew entries4 kids onlymap it!

This site was made possible by: the City of St. Louis Planning and Urban Design Agency and
the City of St. Louis Community Information Network.

This site was funded in part by Federal funds administered by the Missouri State Historical Preservation Office, Missouri Department of Natural Resources, The National Park Service, and the U.S. Department of the Interior.

Version 1.0