Name: Silk Exchange Building
Address: 501-11 N. Tucker Boulevard
Date of Demolition: 1995
Architectural Firm/Architect: Isaac S. Taylor
Standard Architectural Styles: Renaissance Revival
Front facade: Brick, common bond
Property Type Codes: Commercial building, business district
Alterations: Demolished after a major fire in 1995.
Designation: National Register of Historic Places
The Silk Exchange Building, named for its ground-floor tenant, was likely a product of Oscar Enders. Tenants were small clothing and millinery manufacturers.
"The Silk Exchange Building was designed in 1901 by the firm of St. Louis architect Isaac S. Taylor. Built in a prime location during the height of St. Louis´ pre-World´s Fair image consciousness, it is significant as a sophisticated example of excellence in the design of a utilitarian building. The Silk Exchange is also significant as part of the once-bustling Washington Avenue garment and shoe district." [From the nomination to the National Register of Historic Places as prepared by Jane M. Porter, researcher, and Carolyn Hewes Toft, executive director, Landmarks Association of St. Louis, Inc. February, 1982.]
site was made possible by: the City of St. Louis Planning and Urban Design Agency and