Name: Roberts, Johnson & Rand/International Shoe Complex
Address: Mississippi and Hickory Streets
Architectural Firm/Architect: Theodore C. Link
Front facade: Brick, common bond
Property Type Codes: Factory
Designation: National Register of Historic Places
"Constructed between 1903 and 1922, the Roberts, Johnson & Rand/International Shoe Company Complex is a group of five red brick industrial buildings (one to five stories high) located on the northwest corner of Mississippi Avenue and Hickory. The buildings are associated with a significant period of growth of St. Louis´ leading early twentieth century industry, boots and shoes. Between 1900 and 1922, St. Louis evolved from a distribution center for eastern made shoes to the nation´s foremost center of shoe manufacturing. Within this period, the Roberts, Johnson & Rand/International Shoe Company emerged as the largest single shoe manufacturing company in the country and an important contributor to St. Louis´ economy." [From the nomination to the National Register of Historic Places as prepared by Mary M. Stiritz, research associate, Landmarks Association of St. Louis, Inc. June, 1984.
site was made possible by: the City of St. Louis Planning and Urban Design Agency and