history images Mound City on the Mississippi Home Page
image menu Buildings, Sites, and Objects People, Places, and Things Events, Incidents, and Occurrences Bibliography


Name:  Plaza Hotel Complex
Address:  3301-39 Olive Street
Year:  1915
Architectural Firm/Architect:  Preston J. Bradshaw
Standard Architectural Styles:  Spanish Colonial Revival
Front facade:  Brick, common bond
Property Type Codes:  Hotel
Alterations:  The buildings were rehabilitated several years ago for mixed commercial and residential use.
Designation: National Register of Historic Places
Ward:  19
Neighborhood:  37
The complex includes the Drake Hotel and the "Pink Building," both designed by Preston J. Bradshaw, St. LouisĀ“ preeminent hotel architect. The two blocks were created in 1915 when a diagonal cut-off from Olive to Grand was created as the first project of the City Plan Commission. The Pickel Realty Company proposed a hotel, cafe, dinner and dance room, and an automobile showroom on this triangular block. The completed buildings cost over $200,000. They were in the center of "Auto Row," a stretch of auto showrooms along Locust Street to the north.

"The Plaza Hotel Complex, constructed in 1915, articulated in Spanish Colonial Revival and simplified Italian Renaissance styles. The buildings are significant as the first major commercial development in St. Louis to employ all stucco exteriors. The deliberate abstention from the use of ornamentation and emphasis on surface texture unifies the Complex and distinguishes the buildings from traditional St. Louis architecture, historically associated with decorative brick and terra cotta." [From the nomination to the National Register of Historic Places as prepared by Deborah B. Wafer, February, 1985.]

Bradshaw, Preston J.

Plaza Hotel
Pink Building

Drake Hotel



about historic preservationnew entries4 kids onlymap it!

This site was made possible by: the City of St. Louis Planning and Urban Design Agency and
the City of St. Louis Community Information Network.

This site was funded in part by Federal funds administered by the Missouri State Historical Preservation Office, Missouri Department of Natural Resources, The National Park Service, and the U.S. Department of the Interior.

Version 1.0