Name: Homer G. Phillips Hospital
Address: 2610 Whittier
Architectural Firm/Architect: Albert A. Osburg
Standard Architectural Styles: Art Deco
Ethnic Group: African-American
Front facade: Terra Cotta
Property Type Codes: Hospital
Designation: City Landmark
District: Local Historic District
Homer G. Phillips Hospital was designed by City Architect Albert A. Osburg in a Moderne style with buff brick and terra cotta. This northside City hospital was the result of many years effort on the part of the black community; it was named for a prominant African-American attorney murdered in 1931.
The complex included the hospital with center main block and four extending wings; an administration building; and a nurses´ residence. It was one of the few facilities where African-American medical personnel could receive training. It was closed in 1979.
"Considered by many to be the most tangible achievement of St. Louis´ black community, Homer G. Phillips Hospital has also become the most widely known symbol for that community. Constructed between 1932 and 1936 as one of the few, fully equipped hospitals in the country where black doctors, nurses and technicians could receive training, the influence of Homer G. Phillips not only provided medical services to the community but along with Sumner High School, Antoich Baptist Church and the Annie Malone Children´s Home, formed a closely related network of stability and pride during the years of restrictive covenants in housing and segregation in education." [From the nomination to the National Register of Historic Places as prepared by Mary M. Stiritz, research associate, and Carolyn Hewes Toft, executive director, Landmarks Association of St. Louis, Inc., March, 1982]
site was made possible by: the City of St. Louis Planning and Urban Design Agency and