Name: Scott Joplin Residence
Address: 2658 Delmar
Standard Architectural Styles: Italianate
Ethnic Group: African-American
Front facade: Brick, common bond
Property Type Codes: Multi-family building, 3+family flat
Designation: National Historic Landmark
This four-family flat is the only remaining building associated with Joplin and his wife, Belle Hayden Joplin. They lived in one of the upstairs apartments from 1901 to 1903.
The home was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1976. It was rescued from demolition by Jeff-Vander-Lou, Inc. in 1977, and in 1983 the home was donated to the State of Missouri for restoration.
The building is a State Historic Site, and is open to the public as a museum.
"The Scott Joplin Residence, 2658 A Morgan, is a masonry loadbearing structure situated on a lot approximately 100’ x 120´ constructed shortly after the Civil War [1865-1870]. The original building was a four family flat with three-room apartments containing full basements. It was altered with a two-story addition on the West constructed in the 1890s. The style of architecture is Early Victorian as exemplified by the arched doors and windows. The building is structurally sound with the exterior masonry walls requiring tuckpointing, wood window trim needing to be painted and wood porches and stairs on the rear are in a state of deterioration." [From the nomination to the National Register of Historic Places as prepared by Lynne Gomez-Graves, historical projects director, June, 1976.]
site was made possible by: the City of St. Louis Planning and Urban Design Agency and