history images Mound City on the Mississippi Home Page
image menu Buildings, Sites, and Objects People, Places, and Things Events, Incidents, and Occurrences Bibliography


Name:  Fur Exchange, International
Address:  2-14 South Fourth Street
Year:  1919
Architectural Firm/Architect:  George W. Hellmuth
Standard Architectural Styles:  Classic Revival
Front facade:  Terra Cotta
Property Type Codes:  Warehouse
Designation: National Register of Historic Places
Ward:  7
Neighborhood:  35
"In 1919, on the heels of two world record-breaking fur auctions in St. Louis, construction began on a new seven-story commercial warehouse building designed to house the display rooms and auction room of the International Fur Exchange. Completed in 1920 on a prominent downtown site just four blocks west of the Mississippi River, the building cost an estimated $750,000. George W. Hellmuth, a notable St. Louis architect, designed the Exchange. It boasted, "the world´s largest raw fur exchange, with unexcelled lighting facilities" for examining goods, as well as offering buyers the convenience of viewing pelts and bidding in the same building." [From the nomination to the National Register of Historic Places as prepared by Mary M. Stiritz and Cynthia Hill Longswich, December, 1997.]

International Fur Exchange Building



about historic preservationnew entries4 kids onlymap it!

This site was made possible by: the City of St. Louis Planning and Urban Design Agency and
the City of St. Louis Community Information Network.

This site was funded in part by Federal funds administered by the Missouri State Historical Preservation Office, Missouri Department of Natural Resources, The National Park Service, and the U.S. Department of the Interior.

Version 1.0