history images Mound City on the Mississippi Home Page
image menu Buildings, Sites, and Objects People, Places, and Things Events, Incidents, and Occurrences Bibliography


Name:  B´nai El Temple, common name Sherman Branch School
Address:  3666 Flad
Year:  1905
Architectural Firm/Architect:  John L. Wees
Standard Architectural Styles:  Romanesque Revival
Religious Group:  Jewish
Front facade:  Brick, common bond
Property Type Codes:  Synagogue, temple
Designation: National Register of Historic Places
Ward:  8
Neighborhood:  27
"The Romanesque temple B´nai El with its octagonal twin towers is a handsome and compatible accent in the streetscape of red brick houses on Flad Ave. Except for the loss of the central lantern, the exterior of the temple is little changed since its completion from plans drawn by John L. Wees in 1905. The corner site, 100 front feet by a depth of 123 feet, was purchased by the congregation in October of 1904 for $6,500. The building permit of April 13, 1905 projected a construction cost of $36,000; later reports set the actual cost at $60,000. The building contractor was Evert P. Maule, Jr." [From the nomination to the National Register of Historic Places as prepared by Jane M. Porter, researcher, and Carolyn H. Toft, executive director, March, 1983.]



about historic preservationnew entries4 kids onlymap it!

This site was made possible by: the City of St. Louis Planning and Urban Design Agency and
the City of St. Louis Community Information Network.

This site was funded in part by Federal funds administered by the Missouri State Historical Preservation Office, Missouri Department of Natural Resources, The National Park Service, and the U.S. Department of the Interior.

Version 1.0