history images Mound City on the Mississippi Home Page
image menu Buildings, Sites, and Objects People, Places, and Things Events, Incidents, and Occurrences Bibliography


Name:  Commerce Building
Address:  418 Olive Street
Year:  1899
Architectural Firm/Architect:  Shepley, Rutan & Coolidge
Alterations:  Modifications at entry and top floor addition.
Designation: Eligible for National Register of Historic Places
Neighborhood:  35
The Commerce Building property was once owned by William Clark of the Lewis and Clark Expedition, who lived out his last days in a house on its site.

One of the buildingĀ“s most notable features is its entry with Ionic columns and topping cut stone angels. The first two floors have terra cotta framing.

Shepley, Rutan & Coolidge,



about historic preservationnew entries4 kids onlymap it!

This site was made possible by: the City of St. Louis Planning and Urban Design Agency and
the City of St. Louis Community Information Network.

This site was funded in part by Federal funds administered by the Missouri State Historical Preservation Office, Missouri Department of Natural Resources, The National Park Service, and the U.S. Department of the Interior.

Version 1.0