Name: Manuel Lisa Warehouse
Address: Corner of Main and Chestnut
Date of Demolition: 1939
Front facade: Stone, coursed rubble
Property Type Codes: Warehouse
Dimensions: 26 ´ x 67 1/2 ´
Alterations: Addition of mansard roof in the 1880´s, creating a third story. New openings on the side elevations. Front facade altered with a storefront, new two-over-two windows and an added window at the new third story.
Manuel Lisa´s warehouse (commonly known as Old Rock House) was a two-story, limestone building with a front gable roof. The warehouse had quoins at the corners and multi-pane, double-hung windows with jack arch lintels. When in was bought by the National Park service in 1939, it housed a saloon on the first floor, a nightclub on second and small bedrooms on the third floor. The buiding was dismantled in 1939, and reconstructed in 1941 with little original material. The building was again dismantled in the 1950´s. All that remains of the building is a 119 stones in an exhibit at the Old Courthouse [Bartley, 14, 15; Lowic 30].
site was made possible by: the City of St. Louis Planning and Urban Design Agency and