history images Mound City on the Mississippi Home Page
image menu Buildings, Sites, and Objects People, Places, and Things Events, Incidents, and Occurrences Bibliography


Name:  Board of Education Building
Address:  911 Locust
Year:  1891
Architectural Firm/Architect:  Isaac Taylor
Standard Architectural Styles:  Romanesque Revival
Front facade:  Brick, common bond
Property Type Codes:  Commercial building, business district
Alterations:  The first story storefronts, interior
Designation: Eligible for National Register of Historic Places
Ward:  7
Neighborhood:  35
Isaac Taylor designed this building for the St. Louis School Board, which had its offices there from its completion in 1892 until 2000. The building is the earliest remaining site of the City┬┤s public library, which occupied two floors from 1893 to 1908. William B. Ittner, nationally-known for his school designs, had his office in the building from his appointment as Commissioner of Schools in 1897 until his death in 1910. An excellent example of the Romanesque Revival style, the lower two floors are of red sandstone and have a round arched bay on each corner with two-story engaged columns. The storefronts were altered, most likely in the 1930s. Decorations include rosettes on the heads of the capitals and fleu-de-lis on the string course. The next four floors are treated together with columns topped with round arches. The top floor repeats the round arch theme on the colonade. The upper floors are all in buff brick. While the interior has been altered, the original Board Room is intact. The building is currently under rehabiltation.

Ittner, William B.
Smiley, Adella
Taylor, Isaac S.

Board of Education Building
Board of Education Building
Board of Education Building
Board of Education Building



about historic preservationnew entries4 kids onlymap it!

This site was made possible by: the City of St. Louis Planning and Urban Design Agency and
the City of St. Louis Community Information Network.

This site was funded in part by Federal funds administered by the Missouri State Historical Preservation Office, Missouri Department of Natural Resources, The National Park Service, and the U.S. Department of the Interior.

Version 1.0