Name: Cupples Station Building #70
Address: 1014 Spruce
Architectural Firm/Architect: Eames and Yound
Designation: City Landmark, National Register of Historic Places,
Cupples Station is located at what is currently the fringe of the central business district, near Busch Stadium and Highway 64/40. In the late 19th Century, Samuel Cupples, a leading woodenware distributer, and Robert S. Brookings created an 18-building warehouse district. The seven-story, red brick buildings were conveniently connected to rail lines via the Terminal Rail Road Association tunnel near Eighth and Spruce Streets. Also, an underground network of tunnels connected the buildings and linked them to the riverfront. The Cupples Station complex was designed for rapid freight handling and transfer. The hydraulic elevators and central pump were innovative technology for the times. In 2002, only 10 buildings remained standing. Some are slated for demolition, while others will be refurbished as part of the City´s $350 million redevelopment project. The Westin St. Louis hotel and garage was completed in 2001, and an office complex is planned.
The Cupples Warehouse District, between 7th and 11th Streets and Spruce and Clark Streets, is on the National Historic Register.
site was made possible by: the City of St. Louis Planning and Urban Design Agency and