Name: Bee Hat Company
Address: 1021 Washington
Architectural Firm/Architect: Isaac S. Taylor
Designation: City Landmark, Eligible for National Register of Historic Places,
The Bee Hat Company building is on the northern edge of downtown in what was once the City´s thriving garment district. When the Eads Bridge opened in 1874 on the eastern end of Washington Avenue, improved transportation made the avenue a more desirable location for warehouses and garment factories to locate. Around the turn of the century, many seven-story warehouse buildings, such as 1021 Washington, opened for business.
A hat company (possibly the Gauss Langenberg Hat Co.) operated there for some time before the Bee Hat Company moved into the building. Four brothers began the Bee Hat wholesaling and distributing company in 1926 and their business remained on Washington Avenue from October 1944 until the beginning of 2000.
At the end of the 20th Century, the Bee Hat Company was one of the last garment businesses left on Washington Avenue. The Bee Hat Company is now managed by Mr. David Bense and is located at 2839 Olive Street.
Today the Bee Hat Company building is vacant. Most of the Washington Avenue garment district buildings from 9th Street to 18th Street are on the National Register of Historic Places for architectural and cultural significance.
site was made possible by: the City of St. Louis Planning and Urban Design Agency and