Name: SS. Peter and Paul Catholic Church
Address: 1919 S. 7th Street
Architectural Firm/Architect: Franz Georg Himpler
Standard Architectural Styles: Gothic Revival
Religious Group: Catholic
Ethnic Group: German
Front facade: Stone, ashlar
Property Type Codes: Church
Alterations: The church was severely damaged in the tornado of May 27, 1896 but was rebuilt soon thereafter. In 1984 the original pews were removed and the sanctuary redesigned in a circular plan.
Designation: City Landmark
This is the third church to be constructed on this site. Father Francis Goller, who was paster of the church from 1858 to 1910, led construction of the edifice, which was based on 14th century church design. The 214-foot spire was completed in 1890 following original plans. [p. 200]
This building is the largest church edifice in the Soulard area. This German Catholic parish was founded in 1849 by Rev. Simon Sigrist as a mission from St. Vincent de Paul. The original church was a one-story frame building dating from the founding of the parish. A second church, costing $18,000, was built of brick on the same site in 1854. In 1873, this structure was demolished to make way for the present edifice, which was consecrated on December 12, 1875.
Its highly decorative exterior is constructed of Grafton limestone and is notable for its size. It fronts 83 feet on Eighth Street with a depth of 204 feet. Its stone lacework spire soars well over 200 feet.
The interior is lighted by five stained glass windows and has three altars. Seating capacity is about 3,000. Its cost exceeded $200,000. Its maximum width, across the transepts, is about 90 feet.
site was made possible by: the City of St. Louis Planning and Urban Design Agency and