history images Mound City on the Mississippi Home Page
image menu Buildings, Sites, and Objects People, Places, and Things Events, Incidents, and Occurrences Bibliography


Name:  Bradford-Martin Building
Address:  6th And Washington
Year:  1875
Architectural Firm/Architect:  Lee & Annan
Front facade:  Stone, ashlar
Property Type Codes:  Commercial building, Central Business District masonry
Dimensions:  135´ x 122´
Alterations:  Original cast iron storefronts removed; a 27-foot wide entrance bay with a glass dome carved into Washington St. facade. Portions of cornice and balustrades at Washington St. facade were removed.
Designation: City Landmark, National Register of Historic Places,
Ward:  7
Neighborhood:  35
The building became the central block of the Old May Company Department Store (now 555 Washington). Originally, it had a four-bay, three-bay, four-bay, four-bay storefront construction. The building permit lists Major Francis D. Lee, but it was likely the work of Lee with Thomas B. Annan. (May Company Department Store Building, NR 6/23/83)

Annan, Thomas B.
Lee and Annan,

May Company Department Store, Former



about historic preservationnew entries4 kids onlymap it!

This site was made possible by: the City of St. Louis Planning and Urban Design Agency and
the City of St. Louis Community Information Network.

This site was funded in part by Federal funds administered by the Missouri State Historical Preservation Office, Missouri Department of Natural Resources, The National Park Service, and the U.S. Department of the Interior.

Version 1.0