Name: Title Guaranty Building
Address: 706 Chestnut
Date of Demolition: Unknown
Architectural Firm/Architect: Eames and Young
Standard Architectural Styles: Sullivanesque
Property Type Codes: Tall Office building, Sullivanesque
Alterations: The Title Guaranty Building was demolished in 1983 as part of the Gateway Mall redevelopment.
Designation: Eligible for National Register of Historic Places
The Title Guaranty Building was part of the 7th Street Commercial Row, built in the late 1890s. Thought by some to be the best of Eames and Young´s tall office buildings, the Title Guaranty was constructed in 1898 as the Lincoln Trust Building. The contractor was George A. Fuller. The building follows the creative formula originated by Louis Sullivan in his nearby Wainwright Building, with the separate functions of the building expressed in its exterior design. The ornate cornice was the product of the Winkle Terra Cotta Company of St. Louis.
Early tenants of the building included Eames and Young, Jay Gould´s Wabash Railroad, and William K. Bixby´s American Car Company. The building was renamed the Title Guaranty when Lincoln Trust was merged with the Missouri Bank in 1904.
site was made possible by: the City of St. Louis Planning and Urban Design Agency and