history images Mound City on the Mississippi Home Page
image menu Buildings, Sites, and Objects People, Places, and Things Events, Incidents, and Occurrences Bibliography


Name:  Gay Building
Address:  121 N. Second Street
Year:  1859
Date of Demolition:  Unknown
Architectural Firm/Architect:  Thomas Walsh
Standard Architectural Styles:  Italianate
Property Type Codes:  Commercial building, Central Business District masonry
Ward:  7
Neighborhood:  35
The Gay Building, designed by Thomas Walsh, was a four-story commercial building set on a raised basement. Its Tuscan Italianate style was a common choice for riverfront commercial buildings in the 1850s. The three front entrances had decorative door hoods and were flanked by quoins, with a balustrade running between the entries. The upper stories of the front facade bore windows with decorative surrounds, with the center window on the second and third stories being more pronounced. The windows on the secondary facade had pedimented window hoods. The building had quoins at its corners and terminated in a heavy bracketed cornice. [Lowic 84, 87-88].

Annan, Thomas B.
Lee and Annan,

Architectural Heritage of St. Louis, 1803-1891



about historic preservationnew entries4 kids onlymap it!

This site was made possible by: the City of St. Louis Planning and Urban Design Agency and
the City of St. Louis Community Information Network.

This site was funded in part by Federal funds administered by the Missouri State Historical Preservation Office, Missouri Department of Natural Resources, The National Park Service, and the U.S. Department of the Interior.

Version 1.0