history images Mound City on the Mississippi Home Page
image menu Buildings, Sites, and Objects People, Places, and Things Events, Incidents, and Occurrences Bibliography


Name:  Ferguson Building
Address:  Fifth and Pine Streets
Date of Demolition:  Unknown
Architectural Firm/Architect:  Lee and Annan
Front facade:  Iron, cast
Property Type Codes:  Commercial building, Central Business District cast iron
Ward:  7
Neighborhood:  35
Built in the 1870s, this building was first occupied by F.W. Humphery and Company clothing store. The four-story, brick structure had a cast-iron facade, with large glazed bays at the storefronts and a more pretentious and academic design for the upper stories. The cast iron facades were highly ornamented, using classical Doric, Ionic and Corinthian half-columns in ascending order with large arched window openings. At the taller fourth story, the columns were set on piers with balustrades between them. The building was topped by a full entablature which featured a lavishly foliated frieze [117, 118].

Annan, Thomas B.
Lee, Francis D.
Lee and Annan,

Architectural Heritage of St. Louis, 1803-1891



about historic preservationnew entries4 kids onlymap it!

This site was made possible by: the City of St. Louis Planning and Urban Design Agency and
the City of St. Louis Community Information Network.

This site was funded in part by Federal funds administered by the Missouri State Historical Preservation Office, Missouri Department of Natural Resources, The National Park Service, and the U.S. Department of the Interior.

Version 1.0