Name: McLean Tower Building
Address: Fourth and Market Streets
Date of Demolition: Unknown
Architectural Firm/Architect: Stewart & Jungenfeld
Standard Architectural Styles: Second Empire
Designed by James Stewart in conjunction with Edward Jungenfeld, this building projected the individualism of its owner, James McLean, and was a symbol of his worldwide business enterprises. Upstaging the courthouse which sat directly across the street, McLean´s corner tower stood 180 feet tall. The asymmetrical facades held a number of different window heights and shapes, as well as lavish ornamentation. Figural sculptures could be found at several locations on its facades. The McLean Tower Building, built 1874-1876, was for a time the most dominant building on the St. Louis skyline, outshining the courthouse and ushering in a new era. [115-117].
site was made possible by: the City of St. Louis Planning and Urban Design Agency and