Name: Jacob Stein House
Address: Corner of Steins and Reilly Streets
Architectural Firm/Architect: Unknown
Alterations: Closing off one door and adding the disruptive tavern storefront.
Designation: City Landmark
District: National Register Historic District
In 1843, Jacob Stein, a German immigrant agent, acquired a lot at the southeast corner of Steins and Reilly Streets. He was so impressed by the opportunities in Carondelet that he persuaded many other Rhineland Germans to come there. Some of them later became prominent in the life of the community and gave their names to streets in what came to be known as Stein´s Town, south of old Vide Poche. These names exist today on Krauss, Schirmer, Koeln, Nagel, Espenschied and other streets in the area.
The small stone houses that can still be seen in this section of Carondelet are reminiscent of these German settlers. Many of them started small factories which spread in later years to create a highly industrialized part of the town.
Stein resided in the house at Steins and Reilly in the period before the Civil War. Examples of other limestone houses built by German immigrants during the 1840s and 1850s can be seen on Stein´s Street, west of Pennsylvania Avenue.
site was made possible by: the City of St. Louis Planning and Urban Design Agency and