Name: St. Mary of Victories
Address: 748 South Third Street
Architectural Firm/Architect: Franz Solar
Alterations: Interior redecorated.
Designation: City Landmark
District: National Register Historic District
One of the oldest parishes in St. Louis, St. Mary´s had its beginning in 1839 when Bishop Rosati created it to meet the religious needs of the City´s German Catholics. Half of the church site was donated by Ann Lucas Hunt, while the remainder was purchased by Roasti´s successor, Bishop Kenrick, in the early 1840s. Cornerstone laying ceremonies for the church were held in 1843, and the church was opened for worship the next year.
A parochial school, which is now closed, was begun in 1841 and occupied a new building in 1882. It is now used for parish activities.
Industrial encroachments in the vicinity of the church caused the previous residents to move away, changing the parish´s character from a flourishing German one to the present members who are chiefly of Hungarian descent. In recent years the church has been cut off from access on its western side by the construction of the Third Street Highway.
site was made possible by: the City of St. Louis Planning and Urban Design Agency and