Name: Chemical Building
Address: 721 Olive Street
Architectural Firm/Architect: Henry Ives Cobb, Chicago
Dimensions: 16 stories (plus attic)
Alterations: Matching wing added to north side of building (on 8th Street) in 1902.
Designation: City Landmark, National Register of Historic Places,
This structure is closely related to the Chicago School of Skyscraper Architecture. In particular it is similar to the Tacoma Building, a pioneer Chicago high rise building (1888-1929). That building is characterized by general use of tiers, oriel or bay windows, and much greater use of glass for fenestration than had been done previously. These uses were by-products of the steel frame curtain wall design which was first used extensively in late 19th Century Chicago.
Cobb obviously was influenced by his styling in his later effort on the Chemical Building. The use of bay windows provided spectacular street vistas, as well as took advantage of free space above public sidewalks. The Chemical Building is one of St. Louis´ best known landmark buildings. Its distinctive red color and style make it stand out from the other downtown structures.
site was made possible by: the City of St. Louis Planning and Urban Design Agency and