Name: St. Stanislaus Kostka Church
Address: 1413 North 20th Street
Architectural Firm/Architect: Louis Wessbecker
Dimensions: 87 ft. by 134 ft. Origin
Alterations: Central dome removed
Designation: City Landmark, National Register of Historic Places,
St. Stanislaus was the Polish Catholic parish in St. Louis. It was organized in 1879 for Poles who were then residing in the Kerry Patch area. Their first church, staffed by Franciscan fathers, was completed in 1882. The present church, which was erected at a cost of $150,000, was dedicatated in 1892.
St. Stanislaus became the mother church for three other Polish Catholic parishes in St. Louis. The church has a three-portal facade, with a rose window in the dominant center section. The facade is flanked by twin towers, which become octagonal at the gable level. A flat-ended transept projects halfway down the nave. The crossing was once topped by a large dome. The light, airy nave has three square bays with saucer domes. It is supported by Corinthian columns with stylized capitals. Its high altar is set in a semi-circular apse with a round, arched blind arcade and clepestory.
site was made possible by: the City of St. Louis Planning and Urban Design Agency and