Name: Woolworth Building
Address: 663 Lindell Boulevard
Architectural Firm/Architect: Architects: Friedlander a
Alterations: Converted from club quarters to office space following fire in 1925.
Designation: City Landmark
This structure was originally erected for the St. Louis Club, an exclusive St. Louis social organization. An earlier building of the club was built in 1885 at the southwest corner of Locust and Ewing, designed by the Boston architectural firm of Peabody, Stearns and Furber.
The Lindell Boulevard club was notable for the mosaics and marble that were used for its interior decoration. It was four stories in height and contained a bowling alley and a swimming pool in its basement. In January, 1925, the Club was so severely damaged by fire that it was abandoned for club use. It was later converted into office space and housed the headquarters for the Central States Life Insurance Company and the F. W. Woolworth Company. It is now occupied by Saint Louis University and is being remodeled to house a museum.
site was made possible by: the City of St. Louis Planning and Urban Design Agency and