history images Mound City on the Mississippi Home Page
image menu Buildings, Sites, and Objects People, Places, and Things Events, Incidents, and Occurrences Bibliography


Name:  Eugene Field House
Address:  634 South Broadway
Alterations:   Has become free-standing, used to be part of solid row.
Designation: City Landmark, National Register of Historic Places,
Field was a famous St. Louis poet. His father, a lawyer in the Dred Scott Case, bought the house in 1850 when it was five years old. The family lived there until 1856 when Mrs. Field died, at which time they moved to Chicago.

Originally, it was one of twelve houses called "Walsh´s Row." The homes were razed in 1936, but the Field house was saved through the efforts of citizens and the Board of Education. The Questers, a national organization of women devoted to antique preservation, raised money for decoration and furniture. Some furniture and memorabilia was obtained from Field´s own home in Chicago. The Landmarks Association acquired it in 1968.

The decorative detailing of the windows and of the recessed doorway are examples of the Greek Revival style of the period. The shutters are recent additions which may or may not have been on the original building. The building is important both because Field lived there and also as a rare example of the Greek Revival Townhouse, a style once common in St. Louis.

Field, Eugene
Field, Roswell Martin
Scott, Dred

Eugene Field House



about historic preservationnew entries4 kids onlymap it!

This site was made possible by: the City of St. Louis Planning and Urban Design Agency and
the City of St. Louis Community Information Network.

This site was funded in part by Federal funds administered by the Missouri State Historical Preservation Office, Missouri Department of Natural Resources, The National Park Service, and the U.S. Department of the Interior.

Version 1.0