history images Mound City on the Mississippi Home Page
image menu Buildings, Sites, and Objects People, Places, and Things Events, Incidents, and Occurrences Bibliography


Name:  Westminster Presbyterian Church
Address:  5300 Delmar Blvd.
Architectural Firm/Architect:  Date: 1916 Albert B. Grov
Designation: City Landmark
This church can trace its history back to two downtown churches of the 1840s. One, the Washington Avenue Presbyterian Church, was organized in a tobacco warehouse at Sixth and Washington in 1844 and in a nearby church on Eighth Street a year later. In 1853, it moved to Eleventh and Pine and changed its name to Pine Street Church. Soon thereafter, it merged with another congregation dating from 1846, which had a church at Fifth and Locust in 1848. These combined churches moved from the Pine Street building to a chapel at Grand and Washington in 1880. It was renamed as the Grand Avenue Church and occupied a new edifice there in 1882. This was used until 1914 when the church moved to a chapel at Union and Delmar. The old church was converted into a movie theatre and was razed in 1927 to make way for the Fox Theatre.

The present Gothic church was completed in 1916 with the name of Westminster Church. All of the woodwork, pews, pulpit, doors and choir loft were designed by architect Groves and are a dark-finished oak. Marx and Jones designed the art glass windows and the sculpture is by Walker Hancock, who was awarded the Prix de Rome in 1925.

Groves, Albert B.
Hancock, Walker
Marx and Jones,

Westminster Presbyterian Church
Westminster Presbyterian Church



about historic preservationnew entries4 kids onlymap it!

This site was made possible by: the City of St. Louis Planning and Urban Design Agency and
the City of St. Louis Community Information Network.

This site was funded in part by Federal funds administered by the Missouri State Historical Preservation Office, Missouri Department of Natural Resources, The National Park Service, and the U.S. Department of the Interior.

Version 1.0