history images Mound City on the Mississippi Home Page
image menu Buildings, Sites, and Objects People, Places, and Things Events, Incidents, and Occurrences Bibliography


Name:  St. Mark´s Episcopal Church
Address:  4712 Clifton Avenue
Architectural Firm/Architect:  Architects: Nagel and Dun
Designation: City Landmark
St. Mark´s Church´s beginning can be traced to St. Andrew´s Mission, which began holding services in Cyrus Crane Willmore´s real estate office in 1936. Later in that year, the mission was joined by Mt. Calvary Church and services were held in the Nottingham School. In 1938, this group was joined with Holy Innocents Church to form St. Mark´s Memorial Mission.

The present church structure was completed in 1939 in a rather austere style, due to restricted funds. A total of $75,000 was available to purchase the land, design and build the church, and commission the windows, statuary and interior appointments. Its functional style is said to have been inspired by recent French designs using modern materials, as in the work of August Perret and LeCorbusier. The church´s facade is decorated with sculptures by Sheila Burlingame.

In 1947, St. Mark´s became an official parish of the Protestant Episcopal Diocese of Missouri.

Dunn, Frederick W.
Nagel and Dunn,
Perret, August
Willmore, Cyrus Crane

St. Mark´s Episcopal Church



about historic preservationnew entries4 kids onlymap it!

This site was made possible by: the City of St. Louis Planning and Urban Design Agency and
the City of St. Louis Community Information Network.

This site was funded in part by Federal funds administered by the Missouri State Historical Preservation Office, Missouri Department of Natural Resources, The National Park Service, and the U.S. Department of the Interior.

Version 1.0