history images Mound City on the Mississippi Home Page
image menu Buildings, Sites, and Objects People, Places, and Things Events, Incidents, and Occurrences Bibliography


Name:  Lyle House
Address:  Carondelet Park
Architectural Firm/Architect:   Alexander Lyle
Designation: City Landmark
Alexander Lyle came from Virginia in the early 1840s, where he had been trained as a carpenter. He built the frame house on land given to his grandfather by the King of Spain. During the Civil War, the Lyle family mysteriously disappeared, probably due to pressures brought about by their southern sympathies. The poet, Eugene Field, acquired the property. In 1840, the area was annexed to the City of St. Louis and now comprises a major section of South St. Louis.

Five years later, the City bought the property surrounding the house for $143,000 and made it into Carondelet Park. It was dedicated on July 4, 1876. In 1967, the house became the new recreation building for older residents in the Carondelet Park neighborhood. It is the oldest frame house still in existence within the City limits.

Field, Eugene
Lyle, Alexander

Lyle House
Lyle House
Lyle House
Lyle House



about historic preservationnew entries4 kids onlymap it!

This site was made possible by: the City of St. Louis Planning and Urban Design Agency and
the City of St. Louis Community Information Network.

This site was funded in part by Federal funds administered by the Missouri State Historical Preservation Office, Missouri Department of Natural Resources, The National Park Service, and the U.S. Department of the Interior.

Version 1.0