Name: Fox Theatre
Address: 527 North Grand Blvd.
Architectural Firm/Architect: C. Howard Crane
Alterations: Seating capacity originally 5,000, reduced to 4,500.
Designation: City Landmark, National Register of Historic Places,
District: National Register Historic District
From the 1920s through the 1950s, Grand Boulevard between Lindell and Delmar was the "bright white way" of St. Louis night life. In addition to night clubs, ball rooms, hotels and popular restaurants, the area was the location of six theatres that presented plays, vaudeville, musical comedies and first run motion pictures. The largest and most ornate of these was the Fox Theatre, which has been placed upon the National Register of Historic Places as one of the "last opulent movie houses in the nation."
When it opened on January 31, 1929, it was America´s second largest luxury theatre, with hardly any unadorned area of wall or ceiling. It represents the zenith of the ornate baroque decor that was used so lavishly on the cinema palaces of the twenties. During its career, it has featured elaborate stage shows and is famous for its Wurlitzer organ console which, with the featured orchestra as well, rose from a pit below floor level.
site was made possible by: the City of St. Louis Planning and Urban Design Agency and