Name: St. Joseph´s Catholic Church
Address: 1220 North llth Street
Architectural Firm/Architect: George Purvis
Standard Architectural Styles: Baroque Revival
Religious Group: Catholic
Ethnic Group: German
Front facade: Brick, common bond
Property Type Codes: Church
Alterations: Remodeled in 1860s to face Biddle Street. Baroque facade and bell towers added in 1881. Upper part of towers removed in 1954.
Designation: City Landmark, National Register of Historic Places,
This parish was established by the Jesuits of Saint Louis University for German Catholics residing near the college, then at Ninth Street and Washington Avenue. It began in St. Aloysius Chapel on the college grounds in 1843. The church´s present site was donated by Mrs. Ann Biddle and its cornerstone was laid in 1844.
Designed in the Classic Revival style by George Purvis, the church faced on Eleventh Street and had a 150-foot spire. During the 1860s, the church was remodeled to face on Biddle Street, and enlarged and refurbished with an elaborate interior. In 1881, the Baroque towers and facade were added. Structural weaknesses caused the removal of the upper portions of the twin towers in 1954.
The fine altar was donated by parishioners in 1866 in recognition of a miracle in sparing them from the ravages of a cholera epidemic, after an appeal to St. Joseph.
site was made possible by: the City of St. Louis Planning and Urban Design Agency and