Name: Henry Shaw Country House
Address: Tower Grove in Shaw's Garden
Architectural Firm/Architect: Barnett and Peck
Alterations: East wing reconstructed after Shaw´s death.
Designation: City Landmark, National Historic Landmark,
Henry Shaw came to St. Louis from his native England in 1819 and prospered as a merchant, importer and outfitter of western expeditions. Financially independent by the age of 40, Shaw retired from business to devote his time to travel. Impressed by elaborate English gardens, he set out to create a similar botanical gardens in St. Louis. Having acquired extensive real estate holdings to the southwest of the City, Shaw established the gardens on his country estate at Tower Grove. This name was taken from the aspect of the tower of his country home appearing above a surrounding grove of sassafras trees. The 17-room Italianate villa has handsome 12-paned windows, six marble mantled fire places and a U-shaped walnut staircase.
Shaw gave the tract of land for Tower Grove Park to the City in 1868. After his death in 1889, his Missouri Botanical Garden was dedicated "to the use and enjoyment of the public for all time."
Tower Grove has been restored, furnished with contemporary Victorian furniture and is open for public inspection.
site was made possible by: the City of St. Louis Planning and Urban Design Agency and