Name: Page Boulevard Police Station
Address: Page and Union Boulevards (N/E corner)
Date of Demolition: Unknown
Architectural Firm/Architect: James A. Smith and other
Standard Architectural Styles: Classic Revival
Front facade: Brick, common bond
Property Type Codes: Police station
Alterations: Renovated before re-opening in 1966; demolished ca. 1995.
Designation: City Landmark, National Register of Historic Places,
When it was announced in 1907 that a police district was to be formed in the area north of Forest Park, the idea was protested. Property owners in the then fashionable neighborhood and the administrators of a nearby orphans home objected to a "police-type building with bars that would blight the neighborhood and adversely affect children." To meet these objections, the new Twelfth District Station was designed in a classic colonial style to harmonize with its surroundings. The building was used by the police until 1963, when the district was consolidated into the more modern Deer Street Station.
After requests from area residents, the station was reopened in 1966, but was again closed in 1973 when the district headquarters was relocated in the old Y.M.C.A. building at Enright and Union, as the 7th District.
"On May 4, 1908, a building permit was issued to the Police Department, City of St. Louis, for a three-story brick police station with iron girders, estimated to cost $35,959. J. A. Smith and W. R. Faulkner were recorded as architects for the building and McCully Construction Co. the contractor. The Page Boulevard Police Station holds a significant position among St. Louis public buildings for its architectural merit and as an exemplary product of a new political era in municipal government. [From the nomination to the National Register of Historic Places as prepared by Mary M. Stiritz, research associate, and Carolyn Hewes Toft, executive director, Landmarks Association of St. Louis, Inc.]
site was made possible by: the City of St. Louis Planning and Urban Design Agency and