Name: Veteran´s Administration Building
Address: 200 North Broadway
Date of Demolition: 1977
Architectural Firm/Architect: Mauran, Russell & Garden
Standard Architectural Styles: Beaux Arts Classicism
Front facade: Terra Cotta
Property Type Codes: Commercial building, Central Business District masonry
Dimensions: 16 stories, 175 feet hig
Designation: City Landmark
This building replaced a series of four-story lofts and was built as an addition to the National Bank of Commerce, which then had its main banking quarters in the building at the southeast corner of Broadway and Olive. It was occupied by the Federal Reserve Bank from 1914 to 1923 and was later known as the Federal-Commerce Trust Building.
In 1936, it was purchased by the United States government. For many years, it housed the local offices of the Veterans Administration. After that agency moved to the new Federal Office Building at 1520 Market Street. In 1970, the old structure became vacant.
Because of its handsome mansard roof and its decorative facades, it was considered to be a local architectural landmark. However, last ditch efforts by preservationists to save it failed. St. Louis Place is now on this site.
site was made possible by: the City of St. Louis Planning and Urban Design Agency and