Name: Page, Daniel D.
Category: Politics and Government (Number 2)
Term as Mayor: 1829-1833
Born/Started: Mar. 05, 1790
Died/Ended: Apr. 25, 1869
Description: Daniel Page was the second mayor of St. Louis, serving four consecutive terms from 1829 to 1833. During his administration, thr City made important strides in several areas. Fourth Street was widened, graded and paved. A cholera disease broke out at Jefferson Barracks and was communicated to the town, but time it was soon stamped out. A Night Watch was established for the protection of all citizens. Heavy fines were imposed for operating gambling and disorderly houses. Several types of businesses were made subject to license regulations, including the registration of all carts and drays. Small pox vaccination procedures were set up under the direction of the health officer. Inspection of flour, beef and pork was required. Street cleaning and refuse collection began and two men were employed from the first of May to the first of October to haul away dirt from the streets and garbage from kitchens daily. In 1831 the City provided $25,000 to help fund a public/private waterworks venture.
Mayor Page was born in Parsonsfield, ME on March 5, 1790. He learned the merchandising business working in New England for several years before moving to St. Louis in 1818 to find a more agreeable climate for his wife’s health. He opened a business as a merchant and baker. After completion of his last term as mayor, Mayor Page continued in these business endeavors. He erected the first steam flour mill in the City. He also was active in early efforts to bring the railroads to St. Louis and was one of the incorporators of the Pacific Railroad and the Boatmen´s Savings Institution. He helped with finances of the Ohio and Mississippi Railroad. In 1848 he established the Page and Bacon Bank with his son-in-law, Henry Bacon.
Mayor Page lived until April 25, 1869. He died in Washington, D. C. and was buried in Bellefontaine Cemetery.
in the Same Profession(s)
site was made possible by: the City of St. Louis Planning and Urban Design Agency and