Name: Walsh, Thomas Waryng
Description: Thomas Waryng Walsh was born in Kilkenny, Ireland and began his architectural career at age 17 in the Dublin office of Sir William Dean Butler. In 1849, Walsh came to St. Louis where there were job opportunities following the 1849 fire. He designed St. John´s Catholic Church at 16th and Chestnut, the Old Post Office at 8th and Olive, the Gay Building at 121 North 2nd Street,and the old Custom House at 3rd and Olive. His much-acclaimed Lindell Hotel was started in 1856 but was not completed until 1863, then was reduced to rubble by a fire in 1867. Pieces of the Lindell´s cream colored Grafton limestone exterior were salvaged by Henry Shaw who, along with his gardener James Gurney, used the stones to create the ruins behind the Sailboat Pond in Tower Grove Park.
In 1860, Walsh formed a decade-long partnership with James Smith. Prominent buildings from that period included Walsh´s revisions to St. Alphonsus Rock Church and the Four Courts Building at 12th and Clark Streets. By 1871, the Edmund Jungenfeld joined the firm. Smith left the office in 1874, the year of the final decision to build a new Post Office at the western edge of downtown. Local supervision of Alfred Bult Mullett´s design was given to Walsh, who was subsequently removed after being charged in the "St. Louis Custom House Ring," which had defrauded the federal government. Although Walsh and three assistants were indicted by a Federal Grand Jury in 1876, only two assistants were tried, and both were acquitted. The case against Walsh and one assistant was never brought to trial, but President Hayes removed Walsh from the job in 1878 and appointed Henry C. Issacs in his place.
Walsh continued to practice until his death in 1890. One of his final projects was the new campus for Saint Louis University, and the College´s Church.
site was made possible by: the City of St. Louis Planning and Urban Design Agency and