history images Mound City on the Mississippi Home Page
image menu Buildings, Sites, and Objects People, Places, and Things Events, Incidents, and Occurrences Bibliography


Name:    Breadon, Sam
Profession:  Business Person
Born/Started:     Jul. 26, 1876
Died/Ended:     May. 11, 1949
Description:    Sam Breadon was born in New York in 1876, the son of a Scottish father and Irish mother. He moved to St. Louis in 1902 to join a friend in a garage business. In 1903 he started his own car business, the first Ford dealership in St. Louis.

Breadon was also a great baseball fan and, in 1917, he invested $2,000 as a minority owner of the St. Louis Cardinals. He contin ued to buy stock until he had financial control of the team. In 1920, at the request of Branch Rickey, who had been president and field manager, he took over presidency of the club, with Rickey as vice-president. Breadon moved the Cards out of the inadequate wooden Cardinal Park during the 1920 season and into the more modern Sportsman´s Park, owned by the St. Louis Browns.

Early in the 1925 season, with the Cards in last place, Breadon replaced Rickey as field manager with second baseman Rogers Hornsby. That winter Breadon traded the player-manager to the New York Giants for second baseman Frank Frisch and pitcher Jimmy Ring. The trade enraged Cardinal fans, but Frisch ended up being a great player as well.

In 1947 Breadon sold the team to Fred Saigh for several million dollars. During his 30-year tenure, the St. Louis Cardinals won nine pennants and six World Series. He and Branch Rickey were also responsible for setting up baseball´s first farm system for the Cardinals, a move that would be followed later by all other major league teams.[ http://thedeadballera.crosswinds.net/Obits/BreadonSamsObit.html, http://www.pubdim.net/baseballlibrary/ballplayers/B/Breadon_Sam.stm]

Hornsby, Rogers
Rickey, Branch
Saigh, Fred

More People
in the Same Profession(s)

Related Links
Sam Bradon Obituary



about historic preservationnew entries4 kids onlymap it!

This site was made possible by: the City of St. Louis Planning and Urban Design Agency and
the City of St. Louis Community Information Network.

This site was funded in part by Federal funds administered by the Missouri State Historical Preservation Office, Missouri Department of Natural Resources, The National Park Service, and the U.S. Department of the Interior.

Version 1.0