Name: Fabick Company
Description: John Fabick opened a small automobile dealership, Ideal Motor Company, on South Grand Avenue in the late 1800s. In 1917 he became involved in the dealership of Cletrac CrawlerTractors and John Deere farm implements. He started with only three employees.
In 1921, Fabick expanded his business by including the Model A and Model S Crawler Tractors manufactured by C. L. Best. Four years later, C. L. Best and Holt Manufacturing merged to form the organization that is known today as Caterpillar Tractor Co., the world´s leading manufacturer of construction machinery. Shortly thereafter, Fabick became the exclusive Caterpillar sales and service dealership for the St. Louis area.
Between 1938 and the early 1950s, Fabick opened four branches. In the early 1970s the company moved from South St. Louis to 80 acres in Fenton. Today its territory includes 73 counties in Eastern Missouri and Southern Illinois. It is under the leadership of the founder´s grandson, Harry Fabick. There are seven Fabick companies, over 500 employees, and four generations of Fabick family members (over 130 total) now involved in the business. [St. Louis-Home on the River, p. 290, www.johnfabick.com/corporate_data/history.asp]
site was made possible by: the City of St. Louis Planning and Urban Design Agency and