Name: Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod
Born/Started: Apr. 26, 1847
Description: In 1839, a group of Saxon Lutherans fled Germany and settled in St. Louis to practice their orthodox Lutheran religion. On April 26, 1847, the Missouri Saxons, the Michigan Franconians, Indiana Hanoverians and other congregations from Ohio, Illinois, and New York country -- 12 pastors in all representing 15 congregations -- signed a constitution that established "The German Evangelical Lutheran Synod of Missouri, Ohio and Other States."
Their goals were to provide greater mission work, education, and publishing in order to supply the congregation with teachers, pastors, and church material.
By being based in St. Louis, the synod was able to reach out into the new frontier to recruit new members. By its 50th anniversary in 1897, it was the largest individual American Lutheran synod. By its 150th year, The Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod (the name was shortened on the 100th anniversary) consisted of 2.6 million members in 6,145 congregations.
The Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod is now located in Kirkwood and runs the Concordia University system and Concordia Publishing House. [St. Louis: Home on the River, p. 244-245, www.lcms.org]
site was made possible by: the City of St. Louis Planning and Urban Design Agency and