Name: Lambert, Albert Bond
Category: St. Louis and the West
Born/Started: Dec. 06, 1875
Died/Ended: Nov. 12, 1946
Description: An avid balloonist, Albert Lambert became St. Louis´ first licensed pilot while also running the successful Lambert Pharmacal Co., manufacturers of Listerine and other products.
At the turn of the century, during the barnstorming era of flight, Forest Park was home to the region´s flying field. Lambert decided that something larger and farther from the city was needed. In 1909 the first Lambert Field was started in Kinloch Park, but it was quickly abandoned.
Other community leaders soon reached consensus that the city needed more than a flat grassy field in Forest Park for its airport. In 1920 Lambert leased 160 acres for $2,000 per year and built what became known as Lambert St. Louis International Airport. In 1928, Lambert exercised his lease option and bought the site for $68,352.
site was made possible by: the City of St. Louis Planning and Urban Design Agency and