Name: Angelica Corporation
Description: This nationally-known uniform company was begun in 1878 by Cherubino Angelica. The company´s first design was an innovative railroad chef´s coat.
Angelica Corporation is now a premier supplier of textiles and on-the-job apparel for the service industries.
In the 1890s, Angelica created the uniforms for the famous "Harvey Girls," waitresses at Fred Harvey Restaurants, which were located in train stations across the country.
In 1897, Cherubino Angelica was lost at sea in the wreck of the S.S. Burgoyne. Six years later, his family sold the business to Alfred J. Levy for $2,500. Under Levy´s leadership, in the early 1900s, Angelica became a major part of the new linen-supply industry, serving hotels, restaurants, food processors and the railroads. Angelica pioneered the use of bandettes and tea aprons for waitresses and white jackets for waiters.
Angelica now has 26 plants across the country. [St. Louis Portrait, p. 195]
site was made possible by: the City of St. Louis Planning and Urban Design Agency and