history images Mound City on the Mississippi Home Page
image menu Buildings, Sites, and Objects People, Places, and Things Events, Incidents, and Occurrences Bibliography

People

Name:    Bartholomew, Harland
Profession:  Business Person
Category:  Planning and Development
Born/Started:     Sep. 14, 1889
Died/Ended:     Dec. 02, 1989
Description:    Known as the dean of U.S. city planners, Harland Bartholomew was considered the greatest authority on municipal planning in the mid-20th Century. He was instrumental in rebuilding obsolete portions of St. Louis, as well as Washington, D.C. and Memphis.

Born in 1889, Bartholomew was raised in Brooklyn and attended Rutgers for two years before entering the workforce. He later received two honorary Rutgers degrees: a B.S. in civil engineering in 1921 and a doctorate in 1952. For many years he was president of Harland Bartholomew & Associates, a firm that served as city planners for at least 125 major American and Canadian cities.

Bartholomew┬┤s many contributions included serving as a consultant on planning at Rutgers, especially for the Busch campus. He was the first paid planner for the City of Newark. In 1940 President Roosevelt appointed him as a member of the "Interregional Highway Committee." The report of this committee, made in 1944, was the start of the U.S. Interstate Highway System. In 1953 President Eisenhower appointed Bartholomew chairman of the National Capital Planning Commission, which led to the construction of the Washington "Metro." He was also a professor of civic design at the University of Illinois. He died December 2, 1989, a few months after his 100th birthday.



Events
1947 Comprehensive City Plan
City Plan Commission Established

More People
in the Same Profession(s)

Related Links
Harland Bartholomew Bio Page

 

 

peoplestructureseventssourceshome
about historic preservationnew entries4 kids onlymap it!

This site was made possible by: the City of St. Louis Planning and Urban Design Agency and
the City of St. Louis Community Information Network.

This site was funded in part by Federal funds administered by the Missouri State Historical Preservation Office, Missouri Department of Natural Resources, The National Park Service, and the U.S. Department of the Interior.


Version 1.0