history images Mound City on the Mississippi Home Page
image menu Buildings, Sites, and Objects People, Places, and Things Events, Incidents, and Occurrences Bibliography


  St. Louis Cardinals Become Tenants of Browns
Brief Description:  From 1920 until 1953, the St. Louis Cardinals and St. Louis Browns played at the same baseball field, Sportsman´s Park, at Grand and Dodier. The St. Louis Cardinals had originally played their games at Sportsman’s Park when they first entered the league as the St. Louis Brownstockings. In 1893 they moved to a new location at Vandeventer and Natural Bridge, which was called New Sportsman’s Park. he name of this ball park changed three more times, to League Park, Cardinal Field and then Robison Field, named after the team’s owners. When Sam Breadon became president of the club in 1920, he sold Robison Field and made the Cardinals tenants at the old Sportsman´s Park, which at the time was owned and used by the American League´s St. Louis Browns. Proceeds from the sale of Robison Field were used to invest in the first Cardinals farm club affiliate in Houston.
Year:  1920
Decade:  1920 - 1929

Related Links
St. Louis Cardinals History



about historic preservationnew entries4 kids onlymap it!

This site was made possible by: the City of St. Louis Planning and Urban Design Agency and
the City of St. Louis Community Information Network.

This site was funded in part by Federal funds administered by the Missouri State Historical Preservation Office, Missouri Department of Natural Resources, The National Park Service, and the U.S. Department of the Interior.

Version 1.0